Do you struggle in maintaining the status of your pillow?
Hate to break it to you, but you might be doing something incorrectly.
With the number of ways available online that advise you on how to clean your memory foam pillow while keeping it in tip top shape, it can be hard to keep track of what actually works.
The best part?
In this article, I gathered several ways of how to clean a memory foam pillow with ease.
Honestly, though, there are not much variations. And at the end of this good read, you will be surprised just how easy it is.
More than just learning how to wash your memory foam pillows, I sneaked in additional tips to properly care for it, as well. So, stay tuned.
The Importance of Regular Cleaning Your Memory Foam Pillows
Most companies state that their memory foam pillows, such as sleep innovations pillow, are wash and hang to dry. While this is true on most cases, doing this typical method will not really help your case. If you want to go the extra mile, you need to take more measures.
Regular cleaning is a must no matter what pillow you use. After all, a pillow is one of the most used items inside the house. No matter what the weather is, the cold winter nights and summer heat, you use it. Imagine the environment it is exposed to. Plus other quirks like midnight snacking can increase the risk of it accumulating stain and dirt. It certainly deserves a good washing every once in a while.
What Is Considered The Secret Of Keeping Your Pillows Clean?
Knowing the material is an important step of how to clean a pillow. In this case, on the topic of memory foam pillows, you should know its basic attributes. Memory foam is polyurethane. The material answers to the pressure and heat of the body to adapt to its user.
At first glance, you might think it looks like an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, but it is not. Compared to regular pillows, memory foam pillows have antibacterial properties. They are also hypoallergenic.
One of the best things you can do to ensure that the pillow does not lose its shape and loft is remove the pillow cover. You can wash this through the washing machine. Make sure that the pillow is made of breathable materials like linen, cotton, or bamboo.
Important tip: Do not go for those that do not have any covers. Always make sure that addition to the regular pillow cases, there should be a separate removable cover that can be easily washed. The cover can be washed at least once a month.
The good thing about memory foam pillows is that they are hypoallergenic. You already are ahead of the game when it comes to maintaining cleanliness. It is not only hypoallergenic, it also resists growth of bacteria and accumulation of dust mites. Memory pillows is good to go even if you only wash it at least once a year.
This goes for solid memory foam pillow, gel-infused memory foam, or gel inserts.
How to Clean Memory Foam Pillows?
An easy way to clean your memory foam pillows is this: Every time you change the bedsheets (please do it every week1), use a vacuum to get rid of the accumulated filth and sweat residue. If you do this, deep cleaning can be reduced to once in every two months. Simple, right?
Before delving in further, here are some quick reminders that your should never forget when cleaning memory foams.
- Avoid placing memory foam pillows like comfort revolution pillow inside a washer or a dryer. You should always clean it via handwash.
- Refrain from scrubbing the pillow too hard. Treating it roughly will not do your memory foam any good. It is very delicate and can get easily ruined. Follow the care instructions of the manufacturer.
- Use gentle detergents. As stated, memory foam pillows are very fragile. Using a product that is not really suitable to the material used is a waste. Toss your traditional stain removers. Sorry, but the harsh ingredients might damage the material.
- Do not soak the entire pillow in water. As much as possible, use less liquid. Memory foam pillows like to trap in water. In turn, this might harbor bacteria and molds in the long run. While pretty much resistant, you do not want to increase the risk of it happening. Better safe than sorry.
A Step-by-Step Guide In Cleaning Your Memory Foam Pillow
Pillows like serta memory foam pillow are usually machine-washable, but not every memory foam pillow can withstand the machine. Soaking the whole pillow is not really advised. Don’t worry, there is no need to be concerned about germs when it comes to this pillow material.
Spot cleaning is an option you can employ to avoid washing the entire pillow. Here are a couple of ideas to try.
The Baking Soda Method
This is a perfect option for issues about unwanted odors from dried out saliva or sweat.
- Sprinkle copious amount onto the pillow and leave it there for more than five minutes.
- Remove the baking soda through the use of a vacuum. You do not want baking soda rubbing on your face as you sleep, right?
Spot Clean with Dishwashing Liquid
We all know eating and drinking is a major no-no inside the bedroom, let alone the bed. But, we still go for it. If an accident occurs, here is what you should do:
- In a small bowl, mix together water and mild dishwashing liquid. Adding a vinegar is optional, if you want to get rid of unwanted smell at the same time.
- Get a sponge and let it soak in the mixture.
- Rub the sponge on the area that you want to clean.
- Dry the foam with the help of paper towels or regular hand towels. Press it hard on the pillow and wait until the water gets released. The water inside the foam will not be removed only through this manner, you will need to leave it a towel on it overnight or leave it to dry under the sunlight.
Cleaning General Spills
If the accident is pretty major, spot cleaning will not do the trick. Instead, try this method:
- Get a towel and put it on top of the pillow. Have it soak up the fluid in the memory foam.
- Use as many paper towels as you need to remove the liquid.
- Let it dry by ensuring you place it in an area with a proper air flow.
Stain Removal Technique
Annoying stains is really an eyesore. You will also not feel at ease physically if you know there is an unwanted spot right next to your face. Solve the problem by:
- Instead of deciding to throw away the pillow, you can get rid of the stain with a light soap and cold water mixture.
- Get a towel, preferably made of cotton. Dip it wholly into the mixture. Remove the excess water.
- Apply it to the foam gently by starting on the outer part of the stain and brushing it towards the middle. Do this several times until the stain is removed.
- Leave it to dry before replacing the pillow case.
A visual learner? Well, good news.
Here is a short but sweet video of how to clean your memory foam pillows.
Just by watching it, you can see how these simple methods can guarantee a long term use of your pillow.
The truth is memory foam pillows are not that hard to maintain. You just need to know the basic do’s and dont’s and you are set. Germs and bacteria should not be a cause of concern because these pillows can fight it off.
Of course, as much as you can, it is better to prevent damages and avoid ruining your new pillows. Regular cleaning is recommended every once in a while, but proper maintenance is also necessary to ensure that your pillows last for a long time.